Wednesday, June 26, 2013

What not to do!

While you eagerly await the rest of the survey results, here's something else for you to chew on. I posted this article on Facebook awhile back so I thought I'd share it here too. It's called Older and Wiser: Hockey Parent Don'ts. It's a handy list of all the things we parents shouldn't be doing or worrying about, based on the experiences of a father of "three boys and 16 years as a hockey Dad." The website is geared toward hockey parents, and while I've only quickly scanned the rest of the site it looks like a lot of good content there.

I found this article really interesting. In some cases it validated things I already thought, but in other cases it was a nice reminder to tone it down with my boys. One thing I can say from my own experience with my boys (12 and 7) is that it's a lot easier going through the youth hockey experience the second time around. That's not all that surprising I guess. I find that I am much more relaxed with my little guy because I have confidence that he IS going to improve, maybe by accident, just by being on the ice. 

I have a tougher time with my 12yo. We all know the life of the oldest child is really just a series of parental experiments! This article gives me some confidence that I can do the right thing by him without pushing him to the point of getting burned out.

What do you think, parents? Read the article here and leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment